Sunday, January 3, 2010

The lexicon is on my agenda.

Today I flossed.

I had an interesting conversation about this healthy habit with one of my friends at work on New Year’s Day at about 5 in the morning. We were both exhausted. The conversation was not about flossing so much as New Year’s Day (NYD), and the resolutions that usually come along with this holiday as predictably as peeps come along with Easter. I expressed to her that I am not a fan of waiting until NYD to change my life. I think I came across as kind of a jerk, and did not articulate very well that I am pro change and resolutions and all, but not so much waiting until NYD to make those changes. I feel like if I can treat every new year as a new clean slate, why not every month, or week or… every day as a new day, unblemished by yesterday, and completely able to change tomorrow. I kind of expressed how I feel about this around Independence Day in my idiot book.

I realized after thinking about this conversation, while I was flossing my teeth, that I have held a grudge against NYD. I have not, in the past, given it the respect of being a new day. If I wasn’t aware of what day it was, I wouldn’t think twice about changing my behavior to develop a new habit, NYD or not. Why couldn’t I change on NYD, and just call it a “resolution” as opposed to a “NYD resolution?” Holy Crap… I can!

I say thank you to my friend for not pointing this huge flaw out in my thinking knowing that I would probably figure it out. Wow. I guess I just felt kind of like an idiot when I came to this realization while flossing this morning. If my hands hadn’t been busy, I would have done the “palm to the forehead duh I am such an idiot slap thing.”

I just wanted to share this. I hope everyone meets their resolutions with the fire and determination required to accomplish their goals. I hope every new skill set and talent and action that is on the agenda for improvement or development in anybodies life this year will be improved upon over the next 365 days, and hopefully, lifetime.

I am going to floss again tomorrow.

No comments: