Thursday, July 19, 2012

Can the Van.


     Recycle Fo' Yo' Motorcycle is going along swimmingly. There are some out there who have expressed concern about how this is a pretty ineffective way to make money and a part time night job would help me get a sweet ride sooner. I agree. I only recycle kind of passively, and do not look at this as a real money making venture. I think that it does however, have some pretty cool benefits.
     First, I pick up cans while I am at work as part of my job. Now I just put them in a bucket in the back of the truck instead of the trash though. It does not require any extra effort or work, and does not keep me away from my family any longer than my regular work day, which is going to seem like way to long when school starts this fall.
     Secondly, I'll face it. Picking up trash is not really that exciting. I think that one of my talents is being able to find out how to enjoy what I am doing no matter what I am doing. I went to Harbor Freight and got an old person reacher/claw picker upper to kind of make it funner. It works pretty well. I can pick up a cigarette butt at a brisk walk without slowing down or bending over. I later realized that if I look for cans, it is kind of like an Easter Egg hunt at every store.
     Yeah, it sounds pretty crazy to me too when I see it in writing. Whatever. I think the only drag about the program is that I realized on the way home today that I may have to change the name. You see, I told my wife a while ago that I thought it would be a more financially sound decision to pay off the van before buying a motorcycle. I think that she was pretty excited about the idea.
     Yep. Can the Van... payment. Only about 21333 more cans... or sixteen months to go. Maybe I should just collect cans until the van is paid off and then turn them in. I wonder how many I would have saved by then. Huh.

2 comments:

Lyon's said...

Guess what Pete! I've decided that with your permission that I might be a contributor to "Can the Van"! I don't find that many but I still will because I love you :D Maybe overall you'll have 10 more cans :D Haha! You go Bro!!

snotnose said...

woot woot! Thanks Melinda! I am always accepting contributions. Even 10 more is 10 more than I had before!