Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I don't know if I am allowed to blog about this, but what can they do? Fire me?


It is a sad day for Starbucks.

Today I was informed that Starbucks will “let go” quite a large number of assistant managers. I found this out because I am one of them. Total bummer. My last day as an assistant manager will be February 25th. I am pretty bummed out. I feel a little ripped off because of the amount of work and effort I put into getting this position in spite of, and frequently instead of, school, church, and personal obligations, such as date night with my beautiful wife, or not going to see my parents for Christmas or Thanksgiving three years in a row.
However, the world has not come to an end. Since this termination, or “separation” as they say, is out of my control and is not based on any poor decisions or actions on my part, I am eligible for rehire on February 26th. I can reapply at the barista level. I feel confident in my abilities to get rehired, and although I would like to, I cannot say any more about that. What does this mean? All of my benefits, stock options, stock grants, 401k contributions, etcetera, etcetera, will be carried over to my re-employment. So if I do get rehired, it will be more like a demotion than a layoff/rehire. *phew*
I know my wife is pretty excited about this. She doesn’t know it yet though. She forgot about how when I was a barista and talked about moving up to supervisor she got all bent out of shape because this isn’t my career and I should spend more time in school instead of at work. She got even more bent out of shape when I said the word “management”. Her face flushed the same color as a Utah jersey before I got any further than that word. Guess what beautiful, wish granted.
In retrospect, it looks like I had this position just as long as I needed too. I was able to show that I earned enough money to buy a car with my name as the primary debtor for the first time ever. I was also able to pass a job offer that I got through my practice interviews to become an ASM to my wife. She in turn was able to leave Starbucks before it “all hit the fan” if you will. Yep, I don’t think I really needed much more than that.
What else has happened this last couple of weeks? I passed the CBP written test with a 93/100. Awesome. That means I have to show up to a structured interview panel next Wednesday. I am so excited I can’t even handle it. That’s about it for now; I know I will have more free time, so maybe I will manage to be a little more social.
-p

1 comment:

Turbo said...

Dude, that is a bummer. You can roll your 401k over into an IRA.